September 11th Remembered
So this was a very emotional birthday for me. With the ten year anniversary of the attack on the world trade center, there was a lot more memorial media and wide spread discussion on the tragedy. I found myself really struggling with the remembrances--to the extent of turning off the media when 9/11 discussions began. I realized how painful that memory still is for me. It feels like it was yesterday, and I find that I remember the most irrelevant and minute of details.
I remember being worried because my Dad was traveling on business that very day, and not knowing where else the attacks might happen terrified me as a sixteen year old. I remember my band director, before school even started, making the entire band do push ups and thinking "today is starting out to be an awful day." I remember going into my homeroom class, it was my math teacher. I sat in the second row third seat in. I was staring at the TV as I watched the towers burning. As the second plane crashed, my teacher told us that we were watching history, and that this moment was one that we would never forget.
Jump forward ten years, Sunday morning the news was showing a story about a survivor. She was one of the last five out of the building. She was in high heels that impeded her progress out of the building, so her boss volunteered to carry them for her as they flew down the stairwell. She has saved those shoes, covered in wreckage, for the last ten years. In honor of the ten year mark, she donated those shoes to the museum that rests just to the side of where the towers used to stand.
I can't help but feel that pain over again as I think of the many who died that day. It makes me cry every time, even after so much time has elapsed. I don't know how I could heal after such a tragedy without a knowledge of my Savior Jesus Christ. I am so grateful to have that comfort from my Heavenly Father and His son, my savior, Jesus Christ. I know that my Savior understands my pain, and I know that he can provide true and lasting peace as I lean on Him.
I remember being worried because my Dad was traveling on business that very day, and not knowing where else the attacks might happen terrified me as a sixteen year old. I remember my band director, before school even started, making the entire band do push ups and thinking "today is starting out to be an awful day." I remember going into my homeroom class, it was my math teacher. I sat in the second row third seat in. I was staring at the TV as I watched the towers burning. As the second plane crashed, my teacher told us that we were watching history, and that this moment was one that we would never forget.
Jump forward ten years, Sunday morning the news was showing a story about a survivor. She was one of the last five out of the building. She was in high heels that impeded her progress out of the building, so her boss volunteered to carry them for her as they flew down the stairwell. She has saved those shoes, covered in wreckage, for the last ten years. In honor of the ten year mark, she donated those shoes to the museum that rests just to the side of where the towers used to stand.
I can't help but feel that pain over again as I think of the many who died that day. It makes me cry every time, even after so much time has elapsed. I don't know how I could heal after such a tragedy without a knowledge of my Savior Jesus Christ. I am so grateful to have that comfort from my Heavenly Father and His son, my savior, Jesus Christ. I know that my Savior understands my pain, and I know that he can provide true and lasting peace as I lean on Him.

Comments
Post a Comment